All of the tools and supplies that were once in my studio have been moved into the sort of "shed" attached to my apartment. It's a strange area, but I've made it work for keeping my things close-by rather than renting a storage unit. There is also the unkempt backyard that really only gets used for looking at out my windows and by the stray cats that roam out there....and now for some of my art making. To access the backyard, one has to go through my roomates' bathroom which has a door to the shed which has another door to the backyard. Odd, but it is what it is.
For the first few layers I started working outside. I would grab a can of paint, gloves, brush, and the cup from the shed and take it outside to put on the layer. I am making rules as I go, so as for the color, I decided to use up one color until I've run out of that paint and then I'll move on to a new color. So the first color I used was a pink, really it was a mixture of a small amount of white with a small amount of red I had. I have a lot of latex house paints leftover from my thesis installation done in January. Images can be viewed here http://melissabrowder.com/cakedimgs. The idea behind this current project partly stems from my thesis installation. Perhaps in a later entry I will go back and revisit what inspired this layering up of paint over objects.
Eventually the process moved inside. I'm not exactly sure how, but it did. I found myself just doing the layer in the shed. The shed is hardly a place to do any work. It's not unlike trying to work inside an airplane lavatory. However, I found small areas to set the cup down so it could dry before the next day.
Image taken day 18